I have been baking a lot on bread or other cakes but got a phoebia in making swiss rolls. I hated the fact that it sinks after taking out from the oven. I tried this recipe from testedandtasted.blogspot.com. Thanks.
Although it also sinks, but do not have that little layer (like uncooked layer) that shows that the cake sinks.
Found a simple recipe online. Tried on it and for a 2 egg recipe, I got just 1 tray of mini cupcakes.
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanillin
1 cup milk
5 tbsp sugar
55g soft butter
Pinch of salt
1 round tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp chocolate emulco (optional)
1/2 tsp coffee emulco (optional)
Use chiffon method.
I love fruitcakes!
About a month ago after watching a video from youtube, I searched the internet for a good recipe. Found 1 and decided to give a try.
I gave a slice to each of my friends (just about 8 of them) and good feedback from them.
I had 1 bundt and 2 loaves. Kept 1 loaf in the freezer till now. Waiting to see how good it taste after storing them for 1 month!
Update of result-
I kept it in freezer for up to 3 months and yet the taste is good!
Beautiful pattern, isn’t it?
Bet you, if you do one with every same igrendient, you will not get the same grains or pattern?
Do you agree? Even if I do another one, it will still be different.
Hmm… it’s the SWIRL!
Made these without fruits cos need to consider that young children of age below 2 will be eating this cake. I am afraid they will get choked.
I used Aunty Yochana’s recipe but taking half of the batter, mixed it with chocolate emulco. The recipe is here.
As we prefer not too sweet, so I only put in 170g of sug. But you should try following the recipe of 185g and judge the sweetness yourself .
Yochana’s original recipe
125 gm. Butter
125 gm. cream cheese
185 castor sugar
3 eggs (size B)
200 gm. Cake flour ) sifted together
1 tsp. baking powder )
150 gm. Mixed fruits – soaked overnight with 2 Tbsp. Rum/brandy/Kirsch
50 gm. Chopped walnuts
5 nos. green Cherries – diced
(1) Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together till creamy.
(2) Add in eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition to prevent curdling.
(3) Mix 2 Tbsp. of the sifted flour with the mixed fruits to prevent the fruits from sinking.
(4) Fold in sifted flour and then add in the mixed fruits, green cherries and walnuts.
(5) Pour mixture into a 7″ square tin and bake in preheated oven at 175C for about 45 mins. or until cooked.
(6) Remove from oven and leave to cool on the wire rack.
Aunty Yochana at 4:05 pm
Raisin Swiss Roll
Before making the Raisin Roll, soak the rum with rum overnight. I follow the recipe given and it end up to be very sweet. Maybe I should have used a jam that is not that sweet. So next time if I make it again, must follow the recipe below as I have corrected the amount of sugar already.
Since this is very sweet, I decided to eat it with my own homemade yogurt. Wow, it tasted right!
Original Recipe here is from Asian Food Channel – Ah Jiao
(By Instructor Mong)
Raisin Swiss Roll
A) 3 yolks abt 55 g
1/4 tsp salt
40 g sugar
* Blend all the above till sugar dissolve. Not till fluffy.
B) 55 g salad oil
85 g fresh milk
* All these to the butter mixture and blend well.
C) 100 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
* Sieve these together and then add into the butter and milk mixture. Blend well. Set aside.
D) 110 g egg white
1/4 tsp tartar
60 g sugar
* Whisk the egg white, tartar and sugar till fluffy and glossy.
1. Take 1/3 of D and mix into the ready butter and flour mixture. Blend well. Then pour into the extra 2/3s of egg white mixture. Blend well.
2. Tin size : use the normal swiss roll tin. Spread the raisins on the tray first. Pour the batter into the tray and spread evenly.
3. Bake @ 180 degrees for 12-15 mins or until the skewer comes out clean.
Today is Easter Day. Service is at 11am at Suntec Convention Hall. I got up at 6.30am. Picked up my bible and read a chapter. Then toss about and thinking what to have for breakfast. I had many books around me. So I picked up a magazine (full of recipes). Flipped thru and found this “Mayonnaise Cake”. Curious of it, I run through the recipe and was amazed that there is no eggs needed. This means I don’t need to turn on the electric mixer and disturb any sleepers. It so easy to make. So got up and tried out the recipe.
- Mayonnaise Cake
- Cross section of Mayonnaise Cake
This cake turns out to be moist, soft and no sour taste. It is like normal chocolate cake. I changed the white icing topping to the chocolate topping.
Wow! Great cake! I think of bringing along to Suntec to give to the care group members but no choice because the chocolate topping is not set yet.